Saturday, October 08, 2005

Massive Earthquake in Pakistan and India

I woke up today at around 10:00 AM (early morning for engineers :)) and got into my routine of reading BBC, a desire within me to me abreast of happenings around the world early. While fear of the bird flu is gripping the world, I awoke miles away from an earthquake that probably had killed around a thousand people. How many more natural disasters are going to come our way? Man has been attempting to understand science for a very long time now and it has come a long way. I, for one believe strongly that if research in science does not help the ordinary man, then perhaps, we are not doing great justice to ourselves. I understand that there is a value to understanding things but science and technology should help the ordinary man fulfill the basic needs. While our ability to predict hurricanes helped people save their lives, this ability is available only to the rich countries in the world. Millions of people in the poor countries die without the money to employ science to save their lives.

I do not know the answer to the question, but perhaps it is time people thought about the true value of research in addition to the financial implications of success :(. My urge to pen down this thought while my mind is in a cloud requires that I edit this article when my thoughts will be clearer and precise in their opinion sometime in the future.

No comments: